One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
Conley M. More stroke patients die after weekend hospital admissions. ABC News Available at: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stroke-patients-die-hospitalized-weekend/story?id=16742707. Accessed July 10, 2012.
- Mortality among patients admitted to hospitals on weekends as compared with weekdays.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 663-668
- Effects of weekend admission and hospital teaching status on in-hospital mortality.Am J Med. 2004; 117: 151-157
- Mortality among adult patients admitted to the hospital on weekends.Eur J Intern Med. 2006; 17: 322-324
- Weekend versus weekday admission and mortality from myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1099-1109
- Weekends: a dangerous time for having a stroke?.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1211-1215
Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Saeian K. Outcomes of weekend admissions for upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: a nationwide analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;7(3):296-302e291.
- Weekend versus weekday admission and mortality after acute pulmonary embolism.Circulation. 2009; 119: 962-968
- Influence of weekend versus weekday hospital admission on mortality following subarachnoid hemorrhage. Clinical article.J Neurosurg. 2009; 111: 60-66
- Influence of weekend hospital admission on short-term mortality after intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2387-2392
- Comprehensive stroke centers overcome the weekend versus weekday gap in stroke treatment and mortality.Stroke. 2011; 42: 2403-2409
- The impact of weekends on outcome for acute exacerbations of COPD.Eur Respir J. 2012; 39: 46-50
- Dying for the weekend: a retrospective cohort study on the association between day of hospital presentation and the quality and safety of stroke care.Arch Neurol. 2012; : 1-7
- Waiting for urgent procedures on the weekend among emergently hospitalized patients.Am J Med. 2004; 117: 175-181
- The impact of weekends on outcome for emergency patients.Clin Med. 2005; 5: 621-625
- Do weekends or evenings matter in a pediatric intensive care unit?.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2005; 6: 523-530
- Hospital mortality among major trauma victims admitted on weekends and evenings: a cohort study.J Trauma Manag Outcomes. 2009; 3: 8
- Weekend and night outcomes in a statewide trauma system.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 810-817
- Can comprehensive stroke centers erase the “weekend effect”?.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009; 27: 107-113
- Association between evening admissions and higher mortality rates in the pediatric intensive care unit.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: e530-e534
- A comparison of in-hospital mortality risk conferred by high hospital occupancy, differences in nurse staffing levels, weekend admission, and seasonal influenza.Med Care. 2010; 48: 224-232
☆Data set: The Nationwide Emergency Department Sample used for analysis is publicly available and was previously de-identified by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
☆☆Financial Support: ALS is supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar Program.
★Disclosures/conflicts of interest: No authors have conflicts of interest to report.
★★Prior Presentation: A poster for this study was presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly in Denver Colorado October 2012.