One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Assessing missed opportunities for HIV testing in medical settings.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 349-356
- Revised recommendations for HIV counseling, testing, and referral.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2001; 50: 1-62
- Recommendations for HIV testing services for inpatients and outpatients in acute-care hospital settings.MMWR Recomm Rep. 1993; 42: 1-10
- Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settings.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2006; 55: 1-17
Rothman R, Hsieh Y-H, Harvey L, et al. 2009 US Emergency Department HIV Testing Practices. Ann Emerg Med 2011;58:S3-S9.e4.
- Design and implementation of a controlled clinical trial to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of routine opt-out rapid human immunodeficiency virus screening in the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 800-808
- Outcomes and cost analysis of three operational models for rapid HIV testing services in an academic inner-city emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 58: S133-S139
- Routine opt-out rapid HIV screening and detection of HIV infection in emergency department patients.JAMA. 2010; 304: 284-292
- Derivation and validation of the Denver Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Risk Score for targeted HIV screening.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 838-846
- Rapid HIV testing in emergency departments—comparison of results from 2 different operational programs in inner-city and urban sites in Baltimore, Maryland.Acad Emerg Med. 2010; 17: S57
- Factors associated with no or delayed linkage to care in newly diagnosed human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1–infected patients identified by emergency department–based rapid HIV screening programs in two urban EDs.Acad Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 497-503
- Comparison of enhanced targeted rapid HIV screening using the Denver HIV risk score to nontargeted rapid HIV screening in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 61: 353-361
- Emergency medicine resident attitudes and perceptions of HIV testing before and after a focused training program and testing implementation.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 1165-1173
- Needle exchange programs for the prevention of human immunodeficiency virus infection: epidemiology and policy.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 154: S70-S77
- Prevalence of undiagnosed HIV infection among persons aged ≥13 years—National HIV Surveillance System, United States, 2005-2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 57-64
- Screening for HIV: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 51-60
- Establishing an ED HIV screening program: lessons from the front lines.Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14: 658-661
- Research priorities for human immunodeficiency virus and sexually transmitted infections surveillance, screening, and intervention in emergency departments: consensus-based recommendations.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 1096-1102
- HIV testing in US emergency departments: at the crossroads.Acad Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 975-977
- Changing the paradigm for HIV testing—the end of exceptionalism.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 647-649
- Routine screening for chronic human immunodeficiency virus infection: why don't the guidelines agree?.Epidemiol Rev. 2011; 33: 7-19
- Exploring staff attitudes to routine HIV testing in non-traditional settings: a qualitative study in four healthcare facilities.Sex Transm Infect. 2012; 88: 601-606
- The impact of nontargeted HIV screening in emergency departments and the ongoing need for targeted strategies.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 20-22
- Streamlining HIV testing in the emergency department—leveraging kiosks to provide true universal screening: a usability study.Telemed J E Health. 2014; 20: 122-127
- Reductions in high-risk drug use behaviors among participants in the Baltimore needle exchange program.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1997; 16: 400-406
☆Funding: Supported, in part, by an independent scientist award (K02HS107526) from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and an investigator-initiated grant ( R01AI106057 ) from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to Dr Haukoos.
☆☆Conflicts of Interest: None declared.
★Meeting: Presented in part at the 2011 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, June 1 to 5, 2011.
★★Author contributions: JSH and Y-HH conceived and designed the study. JSH and Y-HH provided statistical advice on study design and Y-HH analyzed the data. Y-HH and JSH interpreted the results and Y-HH drafted the manuscript. RER and JSH contributed substantially to its revision. Y-HH takes responsibility for the manuscript as a whole.