One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance 2017.Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta: US2017
- For the sake of all: a report on the health and well-being of African Americans in St. Louis and why it matters for everyone.(Retrieved from)Washington University in St. LouisSt. Louis, MissouriDate: 2014
- Improving clinical operations: can we and should we save our STD clinics?.LWW, 2010
- Estimating the size and cost of the STD prevention services safety net.Public Health Rep. 2015; 130: 602-606
- An increase in sexually transmitted infections seen in US emergency departments.Prev Med. 2017; 100: 143-144
- Emergency department screening for asymptomatic sexually transmitted infections.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 461-464
- Unsuspected gonorrhea and chlamydia in patients of an urban adult emergency department: a critical population for STD control intervention.Sex Transm Dis. 2001; 28: 33-39
- Health-seeking behaviors and sexually transmitted diseases among adolescents attending an urban pediatric emergency department.Compr Ther. 2007; 33: 120-126
- Prevalence of 3 sexually transmitted infections in a pediatric emergency department.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015; 31: 107-112
- Emergency department management of sexually transmitted infections in US adolescents: results from the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 333-338
- Clinical management of chlamydia and gonorrhea infection in a county teaching emergency department—concerns in overtreatment, undertreatment, and follow-up treatment success.J Emerg Med. 2003; 25: 7-11
- Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2015.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2015; 64: 1-137
- Chlamydia and gonorrhea screening in United States emergency departments.J Emerg Med. 2013; 44: 558-567
- Overtreatment of gonorrhea and chlamydial infections in 2 inner-city emergency departments.Am J Emerg Med. 2015; 33: 1265-1268
- A randomized controlled trial comparing the treatment of patients tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea after a rapid polymerase chain reaction test versus standard of care testing.Sex Transm Dis. 2016; 43: 290-295
- Use of a rapid diagnostic for chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae for women in the emergency department can improve clinical management: report of a randomized clinical trial.Ann Emerg Med. 2018 Nov 1; (pii: S0196-0644(18)31271-X)
☆Authors report no conflicts of interest or external sources of support.
☆Summary: A study of patients attending an urban emergency department (ED) in St. Louis, MO revealed a significant burden of STD-related diagnoses, as well as significant levels of overtreatment and undertreatment.