- •Adult visits to pediatric emergency departments have increased over time.
- •Adults ages 22 and older represent approximately 2% of all pediatric ED visits each year.
- •Majority of the adults presenting to pediatric EDs do not have a childhood onset chronic condition.
- •Pregnancy related concerns and chest pain among most common presenting complaints
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA) centers for Medicare & Medicaid services.https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EMTALA/Date accessed: October 7, 2019
- National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2006 emergency department summary.National Health Statistics Reports. 2008; Aug 6: 1-38
- Adult patient visits to children’s hospital emergency departments.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: 1268-1272
- Prevalence and trends of the adult patient population in a pediatric emergency department.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012; 28: 141-144
- Adult patients in the pediatric emergency department – presentation and disposition.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2014; 30: 808-811
- Pediatric complex chronic conditions classification system version 2: updated for ICD-10 and complex medical technology dependence and transplantation.BMC Pediatr. 2014; 14: 199
- Patient factors associated with the decision to transfer adult patients from a pediatric emergency department for definitive care.Pediatric Emergency Care. March 2017; 34: 650-655
- The care of adult patients in pediatric emergency departments.Acad Pediatr. 2019; 19: 942-947
- Inpatient health care use among adult survivors of chronic childhood illnesses in the United States.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1054-1060
- Characteristics of recurrent utilization in pediatric emergency departments.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e1025-e1031
- Age limit of pediatrics.Pediatrics. 2017; 140e20172151
- Pediatric deaths attributable to complex chronic conditions: a population-based study of Washington State, 1980–1997.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 205-209
- Age limits and transition of health care in pediatric emergency medicine.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2007; 23: 294-297
ACGME program requirements for graduate medical education in pediatric emergency medicine. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/114_PediatricEmergencyMedicine_2019.pdf?ver=2019-02-19-105357-207 Revised February 4, 2019, Accessed October 7, 2019.
- National vital statistics reports: deaths: injuries. vol. 54. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 2002 (number 10)