- •Medical television shows may over-exaggerate disaster scenarios.
- •Six ED-associated medical television shows were selected for analysis.
- •The most common disaster type depicted was external, man-made disasters.
- •Average mortality rate was 13.6% for all victims and 15.4% for depicted patients.
- •The weighted mortality rate of 10 major U.S. disasters 2014–2018 was 0.14%.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- The depiction of illness and related matters in two top-ranked primetime network medical dramas in the United States: a content analysis.J Health Commun. 2010; 15 (Jul): 555-570
Science Daily. (2018, April 19). Hurricane Harvey: Most fatalities occurred outside flood zones, Dutch-Texan research showshttps://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180419100130.htm. Accessed May 11, 2020.
United States Census Bureau. (2018, November). Camp fire - 2018 California wildfireshttps://www.census.gov/topics/preparedness/events/wildfires/camp.html. Accessed May 11, 2020.
World Vision. (2018, August 1). 2017 Hurricane Maria: Facts, FAQs, and how to helphttps://www.worldvision.org/disaster-relief-news-stories/hurricane-maria-facts#US. Accessed May 11, 2020.
CNN. (2016, June 13). Orlando shooting: 49 killed, shooter pledged ISIS allegiancehttps://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/index.html Accessed May 11, 2020.
NBC News. (2017, October 17). Las Vegas shooting: 59 killed and more than 500 hurt near Mandalay Bayhttps://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/las-vegas-police-investigating-shooting-mandalay-bay-n806461 Accessed May 11, 2020.
NBC News. (2016, July 7). Dallas police 'ambush': 12 officers shot, 5 killed during protesthttps://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/protests-spawn-cities-across-u-s-over-police-shootings-black-n605686. Accessed May 11, 2020.
Time. (2918, February 18). Sheriff's office had received about 20 calls regarding suspect: The latest on the Florida school shootinghttps://time.com/5158678/what-to-know-about-the-active-shooter-situation-at-florida-high-school/ Accessed May 11, 2020.
Military Times. (2018, December 5). Investigation blames air force and navy for systemic failures in fatal marine corps C-130 crash that killed 16https://www.militarytimes.com/2018/12/05/investigation-blames-air-force-and-navy-for-systemic-failures-in-fatal-marine-corps-c-130-crash-that-killed-16/ Accessed May 11, 2020.
NPR. (2017, May 12). Amtrak engineer charged in deadly 2015 Philadelphia train crashhttps://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/12/528206181/amtrak-engineer-charged-in-deadly-2015-philadelphia-train-crash. Accessed May 11, 2020.
FOX News. (2017, June 30). Bronx-Lebanon hospital shooting: doctor killed, multiple people injured, police sayhttps://www.foxnews.com/us/bronx-lebanon-hospital-shooting-doctor-killed-multiple-people-injured-police-say. Accessed May 11, 2020.
- Natural disasters and mass-casualty events affecting children and families: a description of emergency preparedness and the role of the primary care physician.Clin Pediatr. 2010; 49: 686-698