- •The incidence of atrial fibrillation (AF) in sepsis varied with different conditions.
- •Patients with sepsis-related new-onset AF had prolonged ICU and hospital stays.
- •New-onset AF was correlated with increased mortality, stroke risk and recurrence of AF.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Global, regional, and national sepsis incidence and mortality, 1990–2017: analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 200-211
- New-onset atrial fibrillation in sepsis is associated with increased morbidity and mortality.Neth Heart J. 2015; 23: 82-88
- Sepsis-induced myocardial dysfunction.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2018; 24: 292-299
- Atrial fibrillation in patients with septic shock: a one-year observational pilot study.Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2019; 47: 213-219
- Incidence, risk factors and outcomes of new-onset atrial fibrillation in patients with sepsis: a systematic review.Crit Care. 2014; 18: 688
- One-year outcomes in atrial fibrillation presenting during infections: a nationwide registry-based study.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 1112-1119
- Incidence and predictors of new-onset atrial fibrillation in septic shock patients in a medical ICU: data from 7-day Holter ECG monitoring.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0127168
- Long-term outcomes following development of new-onset atrial fibrillation during sepsis.Chest. 2014; 146: 1187-1195
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 603-605
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias.Biometrics. 1994; 50: 1088-1101
- Supraventricular arrhythmias in intensive care unit patients: short and long-term consequences.Anesth Analg. 2007; 104: 880-886
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of septic patients with new-onset atrial fibrillation.J Crit Care. 2008; 23: 532-536
- Incidence and prognostic impact of new-onset atrial fibrillation in patients with septic shock: a prospective observational study.Crit Care. 2010; 14: R108
- Incident stroke and mortality associated with new-onset atrial fibrillation in patients hospitalized with severe sepsis.JAMA. 2011; 306: 2248-2254
- New-onset atrial fibrillation is an independent predictor of mortality in medical intensive care unit patients.Ann Pharmacother. 2015; 49: 523-527
- Prognostic impact of restored sinus rhythm in patients with sepsis and new-onset atrial fibrillation.Crit Care. 2016; 20: 373
- Incidence, risk factors and outcomes of new onset supraventricular arrhythmias in African American patients with severe sepsis.Ethn Dis. 2016; 26: 205-212
- Incidence, predictors, and outcomes of new-onset atrial fibrillation in critically ill patients with sepsis. A cohort study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 205-211
- New-onset atrial fibrillation-related ischemic stroke occurring after hospital discharge in septicemia survivors.QJM. 2017; 110: 453-457
- Atrial fibrillation is an independent predictor of mortality in critically ill patients.Crit Care Med. 2015; 43: 2104-2111
- New-onset atrial fibrillation in critically ill patients and its association with mortality: a report from the FROG-ICU study.Int J Cardiol. 2018; 266: 95-99
- Risk factors for new-onset atrial fibrillation in patients with sepsis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Crit Care Med. 2019; 47: 280-287
- 2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused updates incorporated into the ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines developed in partnership with the European Society of Cardiology and in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: e101-e198
- Supraventricular tachyarrhythmias in hospitalized adults after surgery. Clinical correlates in patients over 40 years of age after major noncardiac surgery.Chest. 1978; 73: 450-454
- Perioperative/postoperative atrial fibrillation and risk of subsequent stroke and/or mortality.Stroke. 2019; 50: 1364-1371
- High rate of recurrence at long-term follow-up after new-onset atrial fibrillation during acute myocardial infarction.Europace. 2018; 20: e179-e188
- Role of inflammation in atrial fibrillation pathophysiology and management.Circ J. 2015; 79: 495-502
- Inflammatory cytokines and atrial fibrillation: current and prospective views.J Inflamm Res. 2010; 3: 75-97
- Role of ion channels in sepsis-induced atrial tachyarrhythmias in Guinea pigs.Br J Pharmacol. 2012; 166: 390-400
- Inflammation and C-reactive protein in atrial fibrillation: cause or effect.Tex Heart Inst J. 2014; 41: 461-468
- Pathophysiology and prevention of atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2001; 103: 769-777