Advertisement

Childbirth in the emergency medical services practice

      Out-of-hospital labors, especially premature ones, constitute a significant issue in Poland and worldwide. In 2011, as in previous years, the vast majority (98.7%) of all births in the United States were delivered in hospitals. The remaining 1.3%, that is, out-of-hospital labors in 2011, represented nearly 50 000 births. Preterm births accounted for 11.7% of all births. The mean maternal age at the moment of labor was 25.6 years, and 40.7% of all mothers were unmarried [
      • Little SE
      • Zera CA
      • Clapp MA
      • Wilkins-Haug L
      • Robinson JN
      A multi-state analysis of early-term delivery trends and the association with term stillbirth.
      ]. The European Resuscitation Council guidelines recommend that the first measures which should be undertaken by paramedics during labor are removing wet towels, drying, and protecting against hypothermia [
      • Wyllie J
      • Bruinenberg J
      • Roehr CC
      • Rüdiger M
      • Trevisanuto D
      • Urlesberger B
      European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2015: section 7. Resuscitation and support of transition of babies at birth.
      ]. Delivering a newborn in a prehospital setting is one of the basic medical personnel abilities [
      • Szarpak Ł
      Knowledge of newborn resuscitation among emergency medical personnel.
      ].
      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

        • Little SE
        • Zera CA
        • Clapp MA
        • Wilkins-Haug L
        • Robinson JN
        A multi-state analysis of early-term delivery trends and the association with term stillbirth.
        Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1138-1145https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000001109
        • Wyllie J
        • Bruinenberg J
        • Roehr CC
        • Rüdiger M
        • Trevisanuto D
        • Urlesberger B
        European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2015: section 7. Resuscitation and support of transition of babies at birth.
        Resuscitation. 2015; 95: 249-263https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2015.07.029
        • Szarpak Ł
        Knowledge of newborn resuscitation among emergency medical personnel.
        Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther. 2013; 45: 73-76https://doi.org/10.5603/AIT.2013.0016
        • Vella AM
        • Savona Ventura C
        • Wolff K
        Pregnancy outcomes in substance-misusing pregnant women: a 10-year retrospective study.
        J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016; 36: 468-472https://doi.org/10.3109/01443615.2015
        • Peelen MJ
        • Kazemier BM
        • Ravelli AC
        • de Groot CJ
        • van der Post JA
        • Mol BW
        • et al.
        Impact of fetal gender on the risk of preterm birth, a national cohort study.
        Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12929