- •Dog leash-related injuries treated at emergency departments were identified.
- •During 2001–2018, an estimated 356,746 dodgeball-related injuries occurred.
- •54.2% of these injuries resulted from a pull and 38.3% from a trip/tangle.
- •Adults accounted for 88.2% of the patients and 73.0% were female.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- About pets and people.(April 15)https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/health-benefits/index.htmlDate: 2019Date accessed: September 26, 2019
- The influence of dog ownership on objective measures of free-living physical activity and sedentary behaviour in community-dwelling older adults: a longitudinal case-controlled study.BMC Public Health. 2017; 17: 496https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-017-4422-5
- Pet industry market size and ownership statistics.http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.aspDate accessed: September 26, 2019
- The demographics of dog bites in the United States.Heliyon. 2019; 5: e01360https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2019.e01360
- “Nonbite dog-related” injuries: an overlooked injury mechanismin the pediatric population.J Trauma. 2011; 71 (Suppl 2): S531-S533https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31823a4bb9
- Injuries to cyclists due to a dog-bicycle interaction.Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2018; 31: 170-175https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1631879
- Dogs and cats as environmental fall hazards.J Safety Res. 2010; 41: 69-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2010.01.001
- Surgeons warn of serious hand injuries from dog leads and collars.https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48382570Date: 2019Date accessed: September 26, 2019
- Doggy danger.https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/discover-health/preventing-dog-walking-injuriesDate accessed: September 26, 2019
- Retractable leashes pose problems for people and their pets.https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/03/retractable-leashes-pose-problems-for-people-and-their-pets/index.htmDate: 2009Date accessed: September 26, 2019
- Fractures in elderly Americans associated with walking leashed dogs.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 458-459https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2019.0061
- National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS).https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Guides/General-Information/National-Electronic-Injury-Surveillance-System-NEISSDate accessed: October 1, 2019
☆This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.