- •Riot control agents can lead to mortality and permanent morbidity.
- •Appropriate training of personnel on the use of riot control agents is direly needed.
- •Directing the scarce resources of hospitals especially during pandemics is crucial.
- •The safety profile of teargas and rubber bullet use needs to be revisited.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Emergency management of chemical weapon injuries.J Pharm Pract. 2012; 25: 61-68
- France: Police crowd control methods maim people (2018, December 14th).(Retrieved on 31/07/2020 from)
- Effects of incapacitant spray deployed in the restraint and arrest of detainees in the Metropolitan Police Service area, London, UK: a prospective study.Forensic Sci Med Pathol. 2014; 10: 62-68
- Ocular injuries in the people’s uprising of April 2006 in Kathmandu, Nepal.Nepal J Ophthalmol. 2014; 6: 71-79
- The decrease in aqueous tear production associated with pepper spray.Curr Eye Res. 2014; : 1-5
- As the George Floyd protests continue, let's be clear where the violence is coming from.in: The Guardian. 2020 (June 1st. Retrieved on 31/07/2020 from)https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/01/george-floyd-riots-violence-damage-property-police-brutality
- A timeline of the George Floyd and anti-police brutality protests.(Retrieved on 31/07/2020 from)https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/timeline-george-floyd-protests-200610194807385.htmlDate: 2020, June 11th
- Tear gas has been banned in warfare. Why do police still use it?.in: The World. 2019, July 31st (Retrieved on July 31st 2020 from)
- Riot control agents and chemical weapons arms control in the United States.J Strat Security. 2012; 5: 1-18
- Health impacts of chemical irritants used for crowd control: a systematic review of the injuries and deaths caused by tear gas and pepper spray.BMC Public Health. 2017; 17: 831
- United Nations Lebanon. United Nations.2018
- Lebanon is drowning in its own waste.in: BBC News. 2018, March 18th (Retrieved on 24/11/2019 from)
- Police fire tear gas, rubber bullets at Beirut rally; 75 wounded.in: Lebanon News. The Daily Star. 2015, August 23rd (Retrieved on 24/11/2019 from)http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2015/Aug-22/312325-thousands-gather-for-youreek-protest.ashx
- Description of the impact of a new type of mass casualty events on the Emergency system in Lebanon.Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2018 Dec 28; : 1-8
- Lebanon: Security forces use excessive force against protesters.(Retrieved on 24/11/2019 from)https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/10/19/lebanon-security-forces-use-excessive-force-against-protestersDate: 2019, October 19th
- The Little India riot: experience of an emergency department in Singapore.Singapore Med J. 2015; 56: 677-680
- Injury patterns related to use of less-lethal weapons during a period of civil unrest.J Emerg Med. 2003; 25: 219-227
- Injury patterns in clashes between citizens and security forces during forced evacuation.Emerg Med J. 2008; 25: 695-698
- Tear gas: an epidemiological and mechanistic reassessment.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2016; 1378: 96-107
- Acute mass burns caused by o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile (CS) tear gas.Burns. 1995; 21: 586-589
- Direct head injury caused by a tear gas cartridge. Questions on safety: A case report from Iraq and review of the literature.J Clin Neurosci. 2018; 56: 179-182
- Effects of tear gases on the eye.Surv Ophthalmol. 2016; 61: 434-442
- Lebanon: Excessive force against protesters.in: Human Rights Watch website. December 20, 2019 (Accessed July 2, 2020)
- Feelings of loss and uneasiness or shame after removal of a testicle by orchidectomy: a population-based long-term follow-up of testicular cancer survivors.Int J Androl. 2011; 34: 183-192
- International Debt Statistics.The World Bank, 2020 ([Accessed 2 August 2020]. Available at)
- Large devaluation and inequality: The Case of lebanon (note).in: BSI Economics. May 5th, 2020 (Accessed July 3rd, 2020)